Thursday 28 November 2013

Estimating Costs


This week’s assignment calls for us to create a schedule and a budget for the project that we are designing for the course.  I am finding it to be a very overwhelming task as I am not at all familiar with this type of work.  Fortunately, in this technology era, Google is once again proving to be a great resource, as there seems to be numerous blogs and programs out there designed to assist a project manager in creating the many documents required for a successful project.  Here are links to some of the blogs:

How to Manage your Project Budget

This blog suggests immediate, exact recording of all expenses and requiring all team members to do the same.  There is also the suggestion to review the budget weekly and to deliver regular updates to management.

Project Management: 4 Ways to Manage Your Project

This plan encourages project managers to not only continuously forecast your project to ensure that it stays on track, but also to regularly forecast your use of resources.  There is again the advice of sharing the budget – this time with the team, and to careful examine any scope creep.


After searching for budgeting a project, I have read lots of advice and the main advice seems to be to constantly review your project budget and communicate the happenings of your project budget with management and your team.

3 comments:

  1. Great resources, Layla! I really like how they have broken down the process into steps. I'm still a bit intimidated by the budget part of the project, so I have bookmarked both of these resources with my Diigo account so they will be there when I really need them! Thanks for sharing! Any resources that include spreadsheet templates and tips are well received. ;-)
    Cheers,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lesley,

    I am also in very unfamiliar territory and am assuming (hoping) that as we do the project budget and use whichever spreadsheet we choose, it'll all fall into place!

    I've also read your blog and appreciate your budget templates. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Layla - I enjoyed the resources. The 7 Points covered by Nicholas Katers in How to Manage a Project Budget were very infomative and I found logical. Many of his points I have already used in the state and federal organizations I have worked for. Great resource.
    However Jason Westlands Project Management: 4 Ways to Manage Your Budget seemed very common sense and didn't provide as much information as Katers. I still enjoyed them both though.

    Mark Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete